Wednesday, January 10, 2007

It’s A Wonderful . . . Lie?

Having begun my post-collegiate, post-grad school life about three months ago, I, along with many of my peers, have been struggling with the dreaded Quarter-Life Crisis. Although I don’t think any of us expected to become instant successes, I don’t think we were particularly prepared for feeling so directionless, so unaccomplished, and so, well, lonely.

Yes, we expected to be poor for while we fought for survival at the bottom rung of a field we loved - one which we were willing to pay our dues in. No, we were not ready, after years of academic success at the country’s top schools, to find ourselves in pointless, dead-end jobs any high-school dropout could master which barely pay the rent and make us want to put out our eyes from boredom. Yes, we expected things wouldn’t be as fun as in college, especially now that our friends were flung far and wide instead of living upstairs or next door. No, we weren’t ready find ourselves completely isolated, going to bed at 9 PM so we could wake up at the crack of dawn for that dead-end job we hate, and spending our weekends making ends meet by working at that second dead-end job we hate even more.

When our hard-earned education feels so useless, I know I can’t help but feel cheated as I send off my minimum student loan payment ($140) that I can’t afford to spare towards a $45,000 debt which, at this rate, won’t be paid off until several millennia after I’m dead.

It all leaves us wondering, Is this IT?

Obviously, I refuse to believe that. Maybe I’m just young and optimistic; I AM the girl who’s favorite saying is “The world is bound and determined to turn me into a hopeless cynic. Well, fuck that.” But still, as much as I feel the outside and internal pressure to have a plan, a goal more specific than “to be successful, give back to society, and eventually get married and start a family,” an answer to the question, “so, what do YOU do?” I refuse to dive into something I’m not passionate about. Tons of Dartmouth grads jump onto the corporate recruiting bandwagon their senior year just to have a plan, an answer. . . and end up miserable five years down the road, dependent on their paychecks and too afraid of uncertainty to quit. I may have a horrible dumbass job, but if I leave tomorrow to pursue a whim that doesn’t work out, I can always find an equally horrible dumbass job.

It’s a twisted form of freedom, I suppose.

But how do I find that thing which will eventually lead me out of the dumbass cycle? Where is my passion, and how do I go out and get it? Why haven’t I gotten it already?

Does it have my mailing address?

After agonizing over this for some time, I’ve discovered that the answer is equally simple and difficult: do nothing. Wait. See what happens.

A questionable plan, understandably. When I explained this to one of my friends, his response was, “It’s my opinion that it's hard work which is rewarded with cold hard money, not Providence.”

But this is a world which does not (regardless of whether or not it SHOULD) regularly reward hard work, skill, and knowledge so much as it tends to reward people who are in the right place at the right time -- whether it be by simply being born into the right family (such as Paris Hilton or George W. Bush, although I wouldn’t count either as being particularly “successful”), falling into a position recently vacated, winning a contest (be it the Lottery or American Idol), or making a lucky contact by sheer happenstance. Even creating a successful innovation hinges upon the timing -- is society ready to embrace your idea, or are you a decade too early. . . or too late?

Although I’ve worked hard to achieve many accomplishments in my life thus far, many of my recent moves forward have nevertheless been the result of sheer luck:

* I stopped by the reference section of my local library looking for help researching my grad school thesis, which happened to be along the same lines as a book they were publishing, so the library asked me to write a few chapters for them in exchange, and BAM! I get my first publication credit.

* I write two articles for the grad program’s magazine, and the editor-in-chief invites me to fill her position when she graduates the next month. I say yes and run with it, and BAM! I've got an awesome internship.

* I get a random bulletin e-mail about a literary agent looking for a manuscript reader, and I respond. She randomly picks a name (no resumé, no nothing), by sheer luck picks me, and BAM! I've got a good connection and a nice part-time job.

* I randomly get paired with a housemate who knows a publishing company looking for someone to work on a special project dealing with writing and theater, and drops she my name. . . meanwhile, a guy I took a class with works for a publishing company locally and mentions my name, and . . . I don’t know. This was this morning, and I haven’t e-mailed them back yet.

At any rate, my point is that my life has certainly not been a straightway road, and parts of it are really disappointing and frustrating, and the uncertainly is horribly stressful. But at the same time, I have no idea what is just around the corner, and these are situations I simply cannot plan for. In fact, it might undermine me to overplan.

Because of this, I think that there IS a certain amount of waiting involved. You can’t set out of make your life happen any more than you can go out one night and decide beforehand to fall in love. In fact, drawing out a roadmap for life and trying to adhere strictly to it is probably the best way to set yourself up for failure -- because you’ve refused to consider that what’s thrown at you isn’t up to you at all. You’re just swinging at the pitches with as much skill and might as you can muster.

In hindsight, I’m sure this time will seem very liberating, even exciting. Sometimes, in between nervous breakdowns and wanting to smash my head on the counter of my boring-ass stupid job, it’s exciting right now!

I’m not saying, however, that you should just sit around and wait for a life to fall into your lap any more than you can fall in love if you spend your evenings watching Comedy Central and eating a pint of Ben & Jerry’s. Obviously, when you see something you want you should go after it -- sheer tenacity has gotten me just as far as good fortune on many occasions.

However, this doesn’t work if you don’t KNOW what you want in the first place. Hence, the waiting.

For instance, once I was given the magazine internship, I’ve worked my ass off to revamp the entire thing, hire a new staff, do layout, fight with finances, manage fundraising, deal with publishing contracts, etc. Hard work is very rewarding when you know you have a goal you’d like to achieve. But it's the in-between place, when your only goal is to FIND a goal to pursue, that eats you alive.

Again, perhaps it is sheerly my naiveté which allows me to sunnily think that everything happens the way it’s meant to happen . . . something I generally believe.

The cynics among us will laugh. They will say that this all can be summed up in one phrase: life is hard.

Well, I guess, although I don’t think I’ve ever really thought about life that way. Dealing with problems is difficult, sure; learning to cope with various levels of physical or emotional stress is a challenge we all face. However, if you asked me to pick five, ten, probably even fifty words to describe the gift of our first-world industrialized life on Earth, I don’t think “hard” would be in there. I haven’t had a perfect life any more than anybody else, but I refuse to give up on the belief that everything will be okay in the end.

I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, but Yoda’s words of wisdom in The Empire Strikes Back were pretty significant:

Luke: “I don’t believe.”
Yoda: “That is why you fail.”


As soon as you start thinking negatively, you’ve already failed -- it doesn’t matter what the task at hand is, whether it is finding your life’s path or raising a fighter ship from a swamp.

But sometimes we just need someone to commiserate with, and unfortunately, our twenties tend to be pretty damn lonely. Even talking to friends over the phone is depressing when they are as frustrated and miserable as you are, while your parents don't quite get why their instant success (let's see, parents married at age 21/23, bought first house at age 23/25. . .) hasn't rubbed off on you. So what do you do?

Well, I turned to a book. It's A Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths About Life In Your Twenties, edited by Emily Franklin is not the answer to our problems, but it did make me feel a hell of a lot less alone. Written by thirtysomething women reflecting on how they survived (or barely survived) the decade which is supposed to be pinnacle of life on Earth, It's A Wonderful Lie is at once you in a nutshell and a lot worse off than you are. But more than that, it makes me feel like Pollyannaish or not, everything will be okay. . . eventually.

In the meantime, at least the horrible dumbass job is great for finding good books.

1 Comments:

At 12:02 AM , Blogger Erik said...

Oh Jess...what a lovely entry this is...

Have no fear, you will find direction soon enough. I can relate. I stumbled into my current job through luck. I came out to the museum as a seasonal intern, and I didn't even mail them my application materials until a day before the deadline...and now I have a full-blown staff position. Go figure.

It's a unique, challenging job. Education in museums is much harder than I ever thought it would be, and of course, people in the nonprofit world are never making tons of money...although it isn't terrible.

But at the same time, a challenging job has its disadvantages. There are an awful lot of 9, 10, or 11 hour days that leave me feeling burnt out. My goal for this year is to apply to graduate school for the fall of '08 - but most of the time, I don't really have the time/energy to think about it. When I come home, I don't want to study for my GRE's, I want to calm my fry-o-lated brain with a glass of pinot noir, make dinner, watch american idol, or read a book. And on my days off...if i'm not at my desk playing catch-up, i'm off trying to have fun!

Even though I feel like my education is working for me, I can safely say that the current situation is far from perfect. I'm in a job that is interesting, but I wouldn't say i'm truly passionate about it. I don't want to be in the nonprofit realm forever...

The point of this whole personal diatribe is this - do not fear. You know you're capable of doing great things. When life is a grind, just make dunkin donuts coffee. Your time will come.

There's a great old simon and garfunkel song that is applicable to the life experiences of lots of recent college grads, I think...

I'm on my way,
I don't know where I'm going
But I'm on my way.
I'm takin' my time
But I don't know where...

Additionally, jedi master yoda has another great pearl of wisdom that I try to remember every day.

"No, try not! DO, or do not. There is no try."

I figure that if I just keep doing things, something's bound to stick at some point. It sounds like you're doing pretty much the same thing.

So have faith. We'll get there!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home